Career and Technical Education
Students who complete career and technical education programs are better prepared to make informed college and career decisions thanks to the real-world experiences they have in high school.
W. H. Maxwell CTE High School’s Barbering Program is a brand-new, three-year course that will allow students to acquire the 500 hours required by the State Board of New York to obtain a license in barbering. During the program, students will complete barber theory, gaining an understanding of sanitation, sterilization, disinfection, barber law, shop management, and barber history. They will also gain the skills and techniques necessary to prepare them for a successful career in barbering. Students will learn the art of barbering, including shaving and hair styling techniques such as classic tapers, low fades, Caesars, beard trims, shape ups, scissor over comb, and more. In their senior year, students will be set up with internships and receive full preparation for the New York State Board exam. This program is designed to ensure that our students are set up for success in the profession and art of barbering.
Career and Technical Education programs offer you:
- Classes that teach you skills you will need to be successful in work and life after high school.
- Teachers who have worked in their career areas and who hold industry certifications and professional licenses.
- Opportunities for you to earn industry-recognized certifications that can help you to prepare for internships and jobs while you are still in school.
- Work-based learning experiences like career mentoring, workplace tours, job shadowing, and internships that will help you build professional skills.
- School partnerships that help you meet adults who are working in the careers you are interested in learning more about.